Child abuse awareness and prevention workshop for parents
This workshop is not just for parents. It is for every adult who feels deeply about child sexual abuse and might want to reach a place of empathy and preparedness about it. Our purpose is to offer a comprehensive understanding of the subject without inciting feelings of fear, anxiety or shame in participants.
Objectives of the workshop
- Accepting and understanding the magnitude of child sexual abuse.
- Understanding the physical, emotional and psychological effects of child sexual abuse.
- Breaking prevalent myths and taboos about child sexual abuse.
- Learning easily applicable methods of teaching children about abuse prevention and body safety without making them fearful.
- Learning how to handle abuse situations effectively without guilt or shame.
- Learning how to create a fearless and confident attitude towards child sexual abuse.
Contents of the workshop
- Discussing the magnitude of child sexual abuse through facts, figures and personal stories.
- Breaking common myths about child sexual abuse.
- Physical, emotional and psychological effects of abuse.
- Defining child sexual abuse and all its variants.
- Symptoms of child sexual abuse in young children and infants.
- Recognising typical abusers and their methods of gaining trust.
- Methods of discussing abuse awareness and body safety with children.
- Understanding the significance of gender stereotypes in media with regard to abuse and consent awareness.
- Correct responses in the event of abuse.
- Resources and helplines for awareness, help and counselling.
- Understanding why children do not talk about abuse.
- Interactive Q and A session and role playing activities to understand correct responses in difficult situations.